Using Your Crutches
Garrett Anderson Centre
Telephone: 01473 702035 or 702036
Information for parents, guardians and carers
- Hold both crutches in one hand.
- Push up from the chair.
- Once standing, transfer one crutch into the other hand.
- Put the crutches in front of you and get your balance.
- Have the chair immediately behind you.
- Put both crutches in one hand.
- Hold the chair arm with the other hand.
- Sit down gently.
If you are allowed to put weight on your injured leg:
- put both crutches forward
- put your injured leg one step forward in between your crutches
- take your weight onto your hands and step further through with your good leg
- put both crutches forward.
If you are not allowed to put weight on your injured leg:
- put your crutches forward – keep your injured leg off the ground
- take your weight onto your hands
- bring your good leg forward just past the crutches.
Do not use crutches on stairs, unless specifically taught.
Please return the crutches to the Emergency Department when you have recovered.