Prolonged Jaundice Referrals
Ipswich Hospital East Suffolk, North Essex Foundation Trust
Information for health care staff referring jaundiced babies to Ipswich Hospital. Please note the available slots on the calendar and follow the instructions after, depending on whether you will be with the family or not when you refer.
|Tue 25 Jan||14:00||14:20||14:40||15:00||15:20|
|Fri 28 Jan||14:00||14:20||14:40||15:00||15:20|
|Tue 01 Feb||14:00||14:20||14:40||15:00||15:20|
|Fri 04 Feb||14:00||14:20||14:40||15:00||15:20|
When talking to the parents, please explain that it is very important that their baby is seen at the next available slot, even if this is not as convenient as an appointment a week later.
The hospital screens for the rare causes of prolonged jaundice, and in some situations, it is better to make the diagnosis as soon as possible.
The calendar above shows the current availability, enabling a same-day appointment, if possible for the family.
Please explain to the parents that they will receive an email with the appointment details, asking them to share a photo of their child’s dirty nappies before their appointment. Healthcare workers have always asked to see dirty nappies of jaundiced babies, and Ipswich hospital are now asking for this in digital format.
The email also has education about the reason for the prolonged jaundice clinic, including practical details about the clinic.
If a photo of a dirty nappy is not shared, the hospital will be in touch to ensure they received the email with confirmation of the appointment.
If you are with the family when you refer:
- Before calling, please choose a vacant time slot for the child to be seen in the clinic from the calendar above; this could be the same day you refer. The parents will receive an email with the confirmed time slot.
- Before calling, please carefully obtain the parent’s email.
- If there really is no email in use by the family, please reassure the family that this will not affect the care of their child in any way. Communicate this when you refer, and before you leave, please ensure that the family are aware of the confirmed appointment time.
If you will not be with the family when you refer:
- Before leaving the family, please choose two vacant time slots for the child to be seen in the clinic from the calendar above; this could be the same day you refer. Choosing two suitable times ensures the family won’t need contacting again if their first choice time slot is taken by the time you refer. The parents will receive an email with the confirmed time slot.
- Before leaving the family, please carefully obtain the parent’s email.
- If there really is no email in use by the family, please reassure the family that this will not affect the care of their child in any way. Communicate this when you refer, and the doctor you refer to can ensure that someone contacts the family with the confirmed appointment time.